Work Wednesday

Work Wednesday: Adam Gold

Tingjun Long | Staff Photographer

Adam Gold bought a failing coffee shop and turned it into Funk 'n Waffles. He was inspired to start his own business after performing and serving waffles at parties.

When Adam Gold was a junior at Syracuse University, he and his friend, Kyle Corea, decided to have a funk and waffles-themed house party, where Gold’s band performed funk music and served waffles.

After the party, other students began hiring Gold almost every weekend to throw funk-and-waffles house parties.

After graduating in 2007, Gold opened Funk ‘n Waffles, just behind Marshall Street. The founder and owner also opened a second location in downtown Syracuse this past December in the heart of Armory Square.

“For me, making people happy is the whole job. The food industry is the entertainment business,” Gold said. “I’m a funk musician, and I sell people waffles, and both of those things seem to be entertaining.”

To open Funk ‘n Waffles, his first restaurant, Gold took over a coffee shop that was going out of business. He was in charge of management and paid the owners royalties for a few years. It cost him $20,000, whereas his second location cost $200,000.

The restaurant’s success took off when it was featured on Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.” The chicken and waffles and jive turkey dishes were highlighted, and Gold said these two are the most popular dishes among customers.

With two locations and almost 50 employees, 20 of which are cooks, Gold is still expanding Funk ‘n Waffles. For him, creating new dishes is simple.

“I love to eat, and waffle irons are a really versatile tool,” he said.

Gold added that although he was taking a risk when he started his own business, he said he was only 23 years old and didn’t have much to lose.

As a restaurant owner, Gold encourages others to take risks like his because it could lead to an unexpected future.

“I believe if you are young and don’t have a lot of things hanging over your head then go out there and risk a little time and money,” Gold said. “You may end up making a living out of making waffles.”