Technology

Sarconi: Drone regulation necessary, but diminishes thrill

There are very few things that can bring a person as much joy as the perfect toy.

They are completely unnecessary to survival, typically extravagant, usually innocent and bring happiness to children and adults alike. Whether it’s Legos, action figures, sports cars or videogames, toys are a part of the human escape. One type of toy, however, is not as innocent as the rest.

Drones have come under so much scrutiny that the U.S. government is putting in place a registration system for them in late November, according to the Department of Transportation.

Although this is something that has been needed for a while, it’s a conflicting matter. I don’t know about anyone else, but I have an internal conflict between my adult self, who believes regulation is rational and warranted, and the kid in me who just wants to be able to play with his drone in peace.

As is the case with any tough life decision, a pros and cons list is a great tool to reconcile conflict. After two pros and one very important con, maybe I’ll be able to come to a conclusion. Maybe.

Pros

Keeps Them in Check

In 2010, there were basically zero drones in the sky. In 2015, there’s seemingly a drone in the sky every time I walk home from class. The wide range of drone prices has a lot to do with this. While there are very expensive drones with a price tag upwards of $5,000, there are also relatively affordable ones for roughly $450. That means people with even a basic interest in them and a modest income can purchase their very own remotely operated aircraft.

But with that proliferation has come some notorious drone crashes. This includes the drone that crashed on the White House lawn, and the one that sank into the depths of a hot spring in Yellowstone. What this registration law will do is require larger drones to be traceable back to its buyer, which is good. If a drone drops into a hot spring, it’s essentially littering. If it lands on the White House lawn, the Secret Service probably wants to figure out who was flying it. This way they can.

It Gives the People What They Want

A Reuters/Ipsos poll released in January 2015 revealed that 73 percent of Americans want increased regulations on lightweight drones. It also showed that 42 percent of people oppose private drone ownership.

With these new regulations, that 73 percent should be happy, and perhaps the 42 percent will reconsider. Drones are such a grey area for both regulators and the American public that defining some rules should help to appease apprehension. Ultimately, if this poll is truly indicative of public opinion, and 73 percent of people want more regulation, this registration system is justified.

Cons

Are You Really Going to Regulate My Toy?

This is not an argument based around government control, but when toys become regulated, the child inside of me can’t help but resist. Drones are not average toys — they’re really just helicopters on steroids. They can be used to hurt someone, but so can almost anything else on Earth.

The feeling of controlling something and watching it fly high into the air is fantastical. It inspires an awe that is commonly felt among children, but for some reason fades as an adult. The best toys make any person of any age feel young again. Drones are one of those toys, and when regulations come into play, and you can only fly it so high, or it has to be registered with the government, that virtuous thrill is diminished.

Conclusion

Drones should be regulated, but it’s a harsh reality to confront. In many ways, even something as silly as a drone provides a necessary diversion from the real world. Whether the object is a drone or a toy truck, it just doesn’t seem right to regulate a well-meant activity.

Life’s too short to always feel and act like an adult.

Paul Sarconi is a junior broadcast and digital journalism major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at pjsarcon@syr.edu and followed on Twitter @paulsarconi.