Work Wednesday

SU employee has devoted almost 20 years working in copy centers

Alexa Diaz | Opinions Editor

Maribeth Schoeneck has seen all four of her children go through and graduate from Syracuse University in her 18 years working for the school.

Maribeth Schoeneck has worked at Syracuse University for the past 18 years, long enough to see all four of her own children graduate from Syracuse University.

She currently works in Schine Copy Center, spending her days answering emails and doing work for departments across the university, printing a range of materials including resumes, dissertations and magazines. Schoeneck interacts with students who use the print shop for their assignments, typically, from their sophomore to senior years and watches them grow.

“I can see the progress that they make, and it’s amazing,” she said.

Schoeneck is familiar with the projects and the tools students use because she’s been working at the university for so long.

“I know the projects, and I know when they come up. I always tell them come and see me before you get upset because it can be very confusing,” she said.

Schoeneck did not always work in Schine, but she has always worked for campus printing. Before working in the student center, she worked in the Shaffer Art Building for her first 15 years. Aiding students who work with InDesign, Photoshop and other Adobe software programs, has allowed Schoeneck to learn about these programs herself.

“I think I learned a majority of my job from the students,” she said. “So it was a two-way street. I was learning and so were they, but on two different levels.”

Schoeneck said her job has given her the chance to meet so many people and create friendships with the people she is surrounded by daily. Ultimately, Schoeneck said her job is extremely rewarding.

“You know, when you’re done at the end of the day, you’ve made somebody happy, you’ve done your job, you’ve relieved pressure,” Schoeneck said.