Syracuse University to hold annual Winter Carnival this week

Syracuse University’s annual Winter Carnival celebration returns on Tuesday with a theme that aims to warm hearts across campus.

Hosted by the Traditions Commission and the Office of Student Activities, Winter Carnival has activities and events planned to help students — as this year’s theme states — “beat the winter blues,” said Kyle Putnam, president of the Traditions Commission and a sophomore triple major in policy studies, mathematics and economics.

“We really, really liked this theme because the whole point of Winter Carnival week is to inspire people to get out of their dorms when it’s freezing cold,” Putnam said. “And even though it’s still going to be freezing cold, we’re going to pretend it’s summer at the events and try and really embrace that.”

Keeping with the theme of warmer weather, Putnam said students can expect free fanny packs and bandanas along with the usual free food and giveaways at this year’s Winter Carnival Days, which will be held Tuesday and Wednesday in the Schine Student Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Following Winter Carnival Days, students can test their knowledge at Trivia Night in Schine 304. The event begins at 8 p.m. and does not require tickets.

“I think (Trivia Night) is my favorite event just ’cause everyone really gets into it,” Putnam said. “The competition of Trivia Night gets people fired up and that’s always funny to watch.”

Thursday’s festivities will begin at 11 a.m. on the Huntington Beard Crouse patio with the annual chili cook-off — an event Traditions Commission Vice President Jen Sweet said is her favorite and one of the carnival’s most popular offerings.

“It’s just insane amounts of chili on the HBC patio, and kids bringing bowls of chili to class,” she said.

Putnam added that when the “11 a.m.-12:20 p.m. class block ends, it feels like the whole campus is trying to get free chili on the HBC patio.”

Cozy Cappella, a free a cappella show in Goldstein Auditorium, will be held that evening at 8 p.m.

The show is going on its fourth year now, said Courtney Jones, associate director of the Office of Student Activities at SU.

“It’s an opportunity for the a cappella groups on campus to come show off their talent,” Jones said.

Then, for those looking for some laughs, the Every 12 Months Comedy Show will begin at 8 p.m. Friday in Schine Underground. The show is presented by Zamboni Revolution, SU’s improv comedy group, and will feature the touring company of the Upright Citizens Brigade. Tickets cost $3 and can be purchased at the Schine Box Office.

Traditions Commission added the comedy show for the first time last year, Sweet said. She said it’s not often that Traditions Commission sponsors new events for Winter Carnival — they want students to come back for the activities they know and love. But when they do add something new, it’s because an old event is losing its appeal, she said.

“If it’s something that works, and students enjoy it, then we want them to be able to look forward to that year after year, but it also is the case that sometimes things get tired out … so we just go back to the drawing board and come up with something fresh that students can get excited about,” she said.

Students are also invited to Glow in the Dark Late Night Skate Night from 9 p.m. to midnight on Friday at the Tennity Ice Pavilion on South Campus, or the Totally Fabulous XII Drag Show at 10 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium. Tickets to the drag show are $5 with an SU ID.

Winter Carnival will wrap up Saturday with free Laser Tag from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. in Goldstein Auditorium.

“It’s just crazy to see the transformation from a normal auditorium to a laser tag field,” Sweet said.

Traditions Commission begins planning the festivities a semester in advance, and plenty of hard work is put into making sure the week is one everyone will enjoy, Putnam said.

“It’s great to have an excuse to get out of the dorm and really lift your spirits,” Putnam said. “It gives you something to think about other than, ‘It’s cold and it’s miserable.’”

Said Jones: “A Syracuse winter is something that really unites the student body together. Winter Carnival serves as a celebration of the winter season and gives students a reason to embrace it.”