Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse attacks Kayla Treanor and Nicole Levy win ACC awards

Kayla Treanor won ACC Offensive Player of the Year for the third year in a row, the first player ever to do so.

Senior Syracuse attack Kayla Treanor won the Atlantic Coast Conference Offensive Player of the Year, the conference announced on Thursday afternoon. Treanor’s teammate, SU attack Nicole Levy, won ACC Freshman of the Year.

Treanor is the first player ever to win the award for three consecutive seasons. She currently leads the conference and her team with 84 points from 46 goals and an ACC-best 38 assists. She’s also the nation’s leader in draw controls per game (9.00).

It’s been a year of broken records for Treanor who now holds the spot for most goals in program history (255), most draw controls in a single game (19, against Loyola on Feb. 14) and in a single season (189 and counting). The draw control records come despite this being her first full season taking the draw since high school.

On the other hand, Levy is the first-ever Syracuse player to win ACC Freshman of the year. The East Islip, New York native has recorded a point in 21 of 22 games this season and owes much of her success to a plastic, white light switch. She scored seven goals in the first two games of the ACC tournament and led the Orange with five points in a turning-point game at then-No. 2 Notre Dame which spurred a Syracuse five-game win streak after losing three of its last five.

She ranks second on Syracuse in goals (43) and third in assists (19). Her 62 points is an ACC-best among rookies.

North Carolina coach Jenny Levy was named ACC Coach of the Year and Notre Dame’s Barbara Sullivan took home ACC Defensive Player of the Year for the second straight time.

Syracuse’s position in the NCAA tournament will be announced at 9 p.m. on Sunday, May 8.