ESPN ranks Otto the Orange No. 1 mascot in the ACC

Otto the Orange, the well-known face of Syracuse University athletics, became the first piece of walking fuzzy fruit to be awarded the title of top mascot in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The decision was made in an ESPN round table series comprised of writers who cover college football.

ESPN’s Andrea Adelson named Otto as best mascot in the ACC and backed up her choice, saying: “There are various animal mascots that are fun in the ACC, like Ibises, turkeys and tigers. There is even a real ram and a real horse (plus flaming spear!). But none of them can top Otto the Orange, the most unique mascot of them all. First of all, he is a fruit. How many other fruit mascots can you name in college football? Thought so.”

The walking orange costume first came to life in 1980, when Eric Heath, an SU cheerleader designed and crafted the first “fuzzy orange,” according to the SU Archives. In 1984, Sports Illustrated Magazine proposed several candidates for a new official SU mascot, including “The Orange” described as a “juiced-up, bumbling citrus fruit from which two legs protrude.”

The two-legged orange gained popularity and in 1990, SU cheerleaders designated the costume name to be Otto, after the first two costumes made were named “Clyde” and “Woody,” respectively.

In 1995 the issue of an official mascot came into discussion, and a wolf was selected by a committee. A campaign was organized by the students who were acting as the unofficial Orange mascot.

In early December of 1995, Chancellor Kenneth “Buzz” Shaw named the orange known as “Otto” the official SU mascot, believing the majority of students were in favor of this decision.

Otto the Orange has remained the prominent face of SU to this day. Otto comes to life for sporting games and other events – he can be spotted running across the quad, high-fiving fans and garnering school spirit as the walking symbol of SU pride.

Adelson summed Otto up on ESPN: “…there is something about an orange wearing a baseball cap, with arms and legs no less, that is just downright a-peelin.’ Orange you glad to have him, Syracuse?”