Fast Forward Syracuse

Syracuse University to convert Sheraton Hotel into student housing as part of Campus Framework

Courtesy of Stephen Sartori

As part of the Campus Framework, Syracuse University has plans to convert the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center into student housing.

In its recently released Campus Framework draft, Syracuse University has plans to convert the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center into student housing.

The Sheraton Hotel would also be replaced with a boutique hotel, which is a small hotel that typically houses between 10 and 100 people, according to the document. During the 2015-16 academic year, the Sheraton Hotel housed about 66 SU students. The draft does not provide any further details about the conversion of the Sheraton Hotel.

The 42-page Campus Framework draft, which was released on Monday, is one of three parts included in the Fast Forward Syracuse initiative, which was started in 2014 shortly after Chancellor Kent Syverud was inaugurated as chancellor. The Campus Framework is intended as a guideline for the future of SU’s physical campus. The other two parts of Fast Forward are the Academic Strategic Plan and the Operational Excellence Program.

The Campus Framework was released to the SU community after 18 months of planning and campus outreach from the 17-member Campus Framework Advisory Group.

Also in the Campus Framework, SU plans to eventually relocate all of the student housing on South Campus — about 2,700 beds — to Main Campus. Almost 900 more beds will be added to those transferring from South to Main Campus, making a total of about 3,600 beds to be added to Main Campus residential buildings.

According to renderings included in the Campus Framework, the university wants to build several additional residence halls on Main Campus. As a long-term plan, the Campus Framework is meant to guide SU campus development over the next 20 years. Understanding that the world is constantly changing, the plan is also designed to be flexible, according to the document.

Although the Campus Framework is ultimately a long-term plan, it includes many near-term projects. The changes planned for the Sheraton Hotel were not listed as one of the near-term projects.