Women's Soccer

Syracuse women’s soccer opens season with 1-1 tie against Colgate

Syracuse's season opener ended in a tie after 110 minutes of action on Friday night against Colgate.

Syracuse (0-0-1) left Hamilton, New York after a 1-1 tie in 110 minutes of play against Colgate (0-0-1) despite outshooting the Raiders, 22-5, on Friday night.

“On the attacking side we created a ton of chances,” SU head coach Phil Wheddon said, “22 shots to their five shots, so I’m very happy with that. We just need to execute.”

The Orange started out hot, netting a goal off a header by Sheridan Street within the first minute. After the first goal though the first half went south as the Orange drifted to a more conservative style of play and the Raiders took advantage. The Orange recorded 10 shots in the first half but only managed three on goal. After Syracuse cooled down within the first few minutes, the Raiders began to dominate possession for the rest of the half. They struggled getting off shots, but kept the ball on SU’s side of the pitch for many of their possessions.

It looked as though the Orange would extend its lead 37 minutes into the game as Alex Lamontagne raced around Colgate goalkeeper, Kelly Chiavaro. Lamontagne couldn’t get a shot off though, instead passing to freshman Carolin Bader who sent a shot straight into the arms of Chiavaro.

Then with 1:20 until halftime, Sarah Coy sent a Raider corner kick flying into Syracuse territory and freshman Mara Cosentino was able to capitalize with a big right kick from just inside the box to even the match at 1-1.

The Orange came out the second half more aggressive, quickly bringing the ball into Colgate territory and recording six shots, two of which were on goal. Despite some promising opportunities, the Orange could not make their chances count, failing to find the back of the Colgate net. SU goalie Courtney Brosnan did not see a single shot directed her way.

During the first overtime period, Syracuse continued its strong play that it showcased in the second half, but the results were the same. The Orange took shots on goal, but failed to put any past Chiavaro. In the second overtime period, the Raiders took advantage of a few misplayed balls, a few Syracuse fouls but sent two balls sailing just wide and high of the net.

Despite the disappointing score, the Orange received contributions from Bader, as well as three other freshmen who also started: Sydney Brackett, Taylor Bennett, and Opal Curless.

“The athleticism is fantastic. They’re hungry,” Wheddon said of the four starting freshmen. “They’re willing to work and they’re willing to learn.”

The Orange will face its next opponent, Delaware, in its home opener on Sunday at 1 p.m. at SU Soccer Stadium.