From the Calendar

Sports memorabilia show comes to East Syracuse

Justin Mattingly | Editor in chief

About 200 sports fans attend the memorabilia show, which travels around the country on a national circuit.

On an average day, roads near the Carrier Circle in east Syracuse are winding, restful and uninterrupted by traffic. But come 10 a.m. Saturday, Ramada East Syracuse Carrier Circle will likely see cars lining up and crowds of excited families bustling into its beige walls for Syracuse’s third Sports Cards and Memorabilia Show. The show will run Saturday and Sunday.

Albany NY Show Promotion has been putting together such shows since 1976, when its first sports memorabilia show greeted the state capitol. They are on a national circuit and travel all over the country putting on shows. It has now been six years since the company brought the show to Syracuse, but the enthusiasm of attendees has not waned.

“We’ve had anywhere up to 15-20 rooms (rented overnight) throughout the weekend. Basically, (the company) use(s) our ballroom for hosting,” said Robert L. Ward, director of sales at the Ramada Carrier Circle.

About 200 people usually attend the event, armed with their sports cards, cameras and autograph books. Over the weekend, they get the chance to engage with the vendors and professional athletes the show has reined in to attract crowds.

“This weekend, we have two world-wrestling entertainment WWE hall of famers coming in to sign,” said Scott Trudell, managing partner at Albany NY Show Promotion.

This weekend, Syracuse will also be welcoming three-time Mr. USA winner and hall of fame wrestler Tony Atlas, who will be mingling with the crowds on Saturday and Sunday. Koko B. Ware, another Hall of Fame wrestler, who also will be signing on Saturday.

Albany NY Show Promotion is always on the lookout for more athletes to bring to its show. The company fosters its relationship with booking agents that work with retired WWE wrestlers.

Trudell said they are lucky to have such a great relationship with some athletes’ agents, who help bring them into the event. One of the athletes he has already worked directly with is Atlas, who Trudell said is a “great individual.”

He loves to meet kids. He’ll joke with the kids, and sign autographs and get pictures.I hear the same from the individual who’s bringing Koko B. Ware in — he’s the same way. These guys get out on some of these shows and really support their fan base.
Scott Trudell

In addition, Trudell said the show has a selection of vendors from the Syracuse and Albany areas who come in and set up booths to sell memorabilia.

Some of the sports cards and trading cards for sale have journeyed across decades, only increasing in value as collectors strive to preserve the quality of cards, some of which may even be a century old.

Vendors will also be bringing in more collectibles, autographs and memorabilia for the crowds to take a look at, and perhaps even put in a bid for.

Trudell and Ward both said it is a great event for families and kids. Children under 12 receive free admission, and the charge is only $3 for adults.

The show will zero in on all varieties of sports-related memorabilia. In addition to the teeming collection of baseball cards, football cards, hockey cards and basketball cards, Trudell mentioned that one can also see NASCAR cards and UFC collectibles.

“It’d be really interesting to see the reality of the cards. When I was younger, it held a significant meaning to hold these players in my hand, and have a connection with them. Dustin Pedroia is my personal favorite,” said Ross Levensohn, a sophomore advertising major.

Trinkets and novelties, highlights as they are, may even take a backseat to the next great offer the show makes: authenticators.

Rotating in and out of our shows, we have some of the best authenticators in the business, that come in and authenticate autographs and take card submissions for trading.
Scott Trudell

The Ramada Inn is pleased to cater to the show’s offerings and visitors. Ward said it was exciting for him and that the event is only growing year to year, which he said is a sign they are doing the right marketing and “hitting the right people.”

Syracuse caught Trudell’s eye as a potentially big market for expansion, similar to Albany: he saw Syracuse for the sports town that it is, and it paid off.

“Right now, it’s a well-oiled machine, and both markets are working out well for us,” he said.

Between out-of-state vendors, popular athletes and families with children, The Ramada Inn this weekend will surely be marked by smiles for camera flashes and the eternal nostalgia for sports that lasts throughout the years.