From the Kitchen

M Kaiten Sushi on Marshall Street opens with menu options such as ‘Orangeman’ and ‘S.U. Girl’

Jacob Greenfled | Asst. Photo Editor

M Kaiten Sushi opened on Marshall Street last month. The Korean restaurant offers a conveyor belt sushi ordering system with plates inspired by SU.

M Kaiten Sushi opened in January 2017, bringing a new concept to Marshall Street — the conveyor belt sushi, or “kaitenzushi” in Japanese. The M in the name pays homage to the street where it’s located.

John Wan, who also owns the Secret Garden and the Asia Food Market on Erie Boulevard, owns the new sushi spot.

Traditionally a delicacy for the Japanese natives, sushi has become a part of the melting pot of cuisines influenced by the cultures it comes into contact with, much like the new sushi spot on at 113 Marshall St., M Kaiten Sushi bar.

Fresh edamame, crispy shrimp shumai and the epic volcano roll are just pieces of the sushi pie brought to you by a diverse staff.

“The tradition of sushi-making is an art,” said William Collins, a culinary specialist in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics at Syracuse University, who has owned sushi restaurants in the past.

Sushi is all about the freshness and the level of care put in when handling the fish and other ingredients, he said.

Inside M Kaiten Sushi, the mood is chill, with modern music playing in the background and students eating at the bar. The restaurant uses simple black and white decor to showcase the variety of the sushi being brought out on the belt. When patrons walk in they are greeted by a waiter and seated with a plate and a daring serving of wasabi.

The conveyor belt circles the sushi bar with an array of “Korean-style” sushi, said chef Lian Bawi. The conveyor belt uses color-coded plates that coincide with the sushi’s price — which range from $3 to $8 per plate depending on how many rolls are on it and the ingredients used to make them.

Mickey Lee, manager at M Kaiten Sushi, sees this new concept as a refreshing way to get people to try sushi for the first time.

“(It’s more) convenient than having a waiter to wait on you,” Lee said. “This way you can choose what you want and what looks good.”

Each cycle reminds you of what you missed out on the last time. The menu consists of vegetable rolls, house special rolls, sushi or sashimi, starters, soups and salads, a la carte, noodles and desserts like fried ice cream.

The menu pays homage to the Orange Nation with rolls such as the S.U. Girl, Orangeman and Syracuse. These menu items were chosen by the sushi chef based on colors and flavors to represent the Orange spirit that comes from the campus, Lee said.

So far the most popular items are the squid salad, spicy spider, Florida roll and the volcano roll, said waitress Jenny Bassett. She added that so far, every day their neighbors from the pizza shop come in for a Firecracker.

To some, conveyor belt sushi can seem limiting, said Collins. Those who don’t see anything they like on the sushi belt can order other types of food, including vegan or vegetarian options.