Softball

Syracuse loses twice in extra innings to Boston College

Courtesy of SU Athletics

In game two, junior outfielder Kelsey Johnson knocked in SU's only run.

Syracuse (17-12, 3-6 Atlantic Coast) went to extra innings in both games against Boston College (20-12, 6-2) in Providence, Rhode Island on Sunday, only to lose both games 2-1.

In both games the Orange carried a one-run advantage into the bottom of the seventh inning before allowing a run in both the seventh and eighth innings to lose 2-1 in consecutive games. With the first game cancelled on Saturday, Syracuse finished the series 0-2.

In game one, sophomore third baseman Hannah Dossett scored following an error by Boston College’s catcher. The unearned run was all the Orange mustered on offense as it connected on only three hits in eight innings of play.

The one-run lead held until the bottom of the seventh inning. BC’s Brenna Griesser singled down the left side with one out. Two batters later she scored on a Taylor Coroneos double. SU senior left-hander Sydney O’Hara came on in relief and salvaged the inning, but the Eagles 10-to-three hit advantage proved to be too much. Chloe Sharabba scored on a double by Allyson Moore providing the Eagles the 2-1 walk-off victory.

In game two, Syracuse got more runners on base, but garnered the same results. The lone run came in the top of the second, when junior outfielder Kelsey Johnson knocked a single to left field. Following the early run, the run production faltered and the pitching couldn’t hold on long enough.

Despite a two-hitter from freshman pitcher Alexa Romero as the bottom of the seventh began it only took one more hit for Boston College to knot the score. Chloe Sharabba took Romero’s pitch over the center field wall and the two teams headed to extras for a second consecutive game.

Syracuse left two runners on base in the top of the eighth, while Boston College didn’t wait to capitalize on its opportunities. With SU right-hander AnnaMarie Gatti in to pitch for the extra inning, a passed ball allowed Boston College’s Dani Thomas to come home for the winning run.

Up next, Syracuse will host its first games of the year at Skytop Stadium, against Binghamton (9-14, 2-0 America East) on Wednesday at 3 p.m.