4 things to know about Orange Crate Brewing Company’s history on the Hill

Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

Orange Crate Brewing Company reopened Friday. Many students refer to the bar as "Lucy's" based on its previous name, "Lucy's Retired Surfers Bar."

Orange Crate Brewing Co. has had a presence on the Syracuse University campus for more than two decades. After the Orange beat the No. 2 Clemson University Tigers on Friday, fans took to the bar’s new location at 731 S. Crouse Ave. on its reopening night.

Here are four things to know about Orange Crate and its history on the Hill:

The nickname “Lucy’s” comes from the bar’s former name at its previous location

Before being named Orange Crate Brewing Co., the bar was called “The Orange,” “Bugsy’s Back Alley Back Bar” and the name that most students refer to it as: “Lucy’s,” which is short for “Lucy’s Retired Surfers Bar.” Lucy’s became Orange Crate Brewing Co. in October 2013.

The owner was the 32nd member of his family to attend SU

Owner R.C. Faigle enrolled at SU in 1988, and his family has a long history with the university. His grandmother graduated nearly 100 years ago in 1924. The first building on campus, Hall of Languages, is named after his grandfather, Eric H. Faigle, former dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. His father played on the national championship 1959 football team.

It’s the “home of the original Fish Bowl” on the Hill

The bar is the creator of the 32 oz. fish bowl filled with a mixed drink for people to share with friends, according to its Facebook page.

The bar has an annual Halloween party

On the weekend before the holiday, the bar hosts a Halloween party full of costume contests and drink specials. Last year’s party featured prizes and contests for “sexiest” costume, “best ‘horror film’ costume re-creation,” “best group” costume, best female and male costumes and “most original” and “scariest” costumes.