Crime

Police investigate multiple reported robberies near Syracuse University’s Main Campus

Jes Sheldon | Staff Photographer

SPD asked that the campus community stay indoors in areas near the 300 block of Roosevelt Avenue and Buckingham Avenue and Meadowbrook Drive.

UPDATED: Jan. 29, 2018, at 12:51 a.m.

The Department of Public Safety, Syracuse Police Department and Onondaga County Sheriff’s Department are investigating three robberies that occurred near Main Campus within about an hour of each other Sunday night.

Two Syracuse University students and a SUNY-ESF student reported being approached by two men in masks, according to a campus-wide email sent by DPS Sunday night. Two students said the men stole some of their belongings, including a wallet and an iPhone, DPS said.

The department, at about 7:10 p.m., received a report of a robbery in the 100 block of Ostrom Avenue. Two additional robberies were reported between 8:00 p.m. and 8:20 p.m., in the 300 block of Roosevelt Avenue, and Buckingham Avenue and Meadowbrook Drive, respectively.

Victor Tapia, a sophomore film major in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, said he was a victim of the robbery in the 100 block of Ostrom Avenue. He said he was walking back from Ernie Davis Hall when he was jumped by two men near the entrance to his house.

The two men pushed him over, and one pulled out a handgun, Tapia said.

“I was on the ground and they were asking me specifically for my wallet and they were just telling me to get my stuff out,” Tapia said.

He said he did not know the two men who attacked him. One of the men was a “heavy black guy,” Tapia said, and the other was skinny. Both were wearing ski masks.

The two men stole his wallet and drove in the wrong direction toward Ernie Davis Hall and Madison Avenue, he said.

The suspects fled south on Ostrom Avenue in what was described as a light-colored SUV-style vehicle, police said.

DPS said the suspects then attempted to steal property from a SUNY-ESF student in the 300 block of Roosevelt Avenue at about 8:10 p.m. No property was stolen from the SUNY-ESF student, police said.

At 8:25 p.m., the suspects reportedly stole a cell phone in the 400 block of Buckingham Avenue, said Sgt. Richard Helterline, an SPD spokesman in a press release. The vehicle then drove off in an unknown direction, according to a DPS public safety notice.

No injuries were reported by the three students, police said.

DPS and city police are investigating the incident, according to the first of multiple campus-wide emails sent to the SU community Sunday night. Police asked students to stay away from the areas were the robberies occurred.

DPS sent the first email to the campus community at about 8 p.m. It was the first public safety notice of the spring 2018 semester.

About an hour later, DPS sent a second public safety email notifying the campus of two additional reports of robberies. Police asked that the SU community stay indoors in areas near the 300 block of Roosevelt Avenue and Buckingham Avenue and Meadowbrook Drive.

DPS sent the third public safety notice just before 11 p.m. Sunday night.

This post has been updated with additional reporting.