From The Studio

Rapper, climate change activist Xiuhtezcatl Martinez to perform in Syracuse

Courtesy of Xiuhtezcatl Martinez

17-year-old Xiuhtezcatl released his book "We Rise" in September and is working on a new album "Break Free."

Most teenagers aren’t thinking about saving the world. That isn’t the case for 17-year-old Xiuhtezcatl Martinez.

The Colorado native has been an outspoken advocate for environmental protection, social justice and indigenous peoples’ rights since an early age. This engagement led him to write his bestselling book, “We Rise,” and landed him audiences such as the United Nations. Now he’s leading a lawsuit suing the federal government for inaction on climate issues.

The Daily Orange sat down to chat with Martinez, who goes by his first name onstage, about the issues that matter to him today. XIUHTEZCATL will perform at The Westcott Theater on Monday.

The Daily Orange: Can you tell me what your new album is all about?

Xiuhtezcatl Martinez: I’m working on a record called “Break Free.” I’ve been making hip-hop now for several years. This project has been the last year in the making. … The music is a method of storytelling that is talking about a wide range of different topics. A lot of it is looking at how art and music can play a role in building movements and fighting for change. It’s an introductory album to my world. It’s my first hip-hop record.

The D.O.: How do you blend your activism with your music?

X.M.: I’ve been working on the front lines of climate, environmental and indigenous rights since I was, like, 6 years old. This is even before the music. One thing that I’ve seen in the world today is that young people, our generation, we’re not trying to be activists. … A lot of us are apathetic and disconnected. I feel that music is a way to wake people up, bring people together. … You look at everything that is happening in the world today — from gun violence to our climate crisis to social injustice — things are really hectic, and we need change really fast. The only way we are going to mobilize people is if we utilize things like art, innovation, technology, economics — these different worlds that aren’t always represented.

The D.O.: Do you think you would want to become a musician full-time, or would you like to split your time between your activism and your musicianship?

X.M.: I think that they go very hand in hand. For example, there are a lot of actors and actresses that do both really well, like Leonardo DiCaprio, who’s super involved socially and politically but is still one of the most successful actors of all time. I think that definitely I want to do both moving forward and never really separate the two.

The D.O.: What do you think is the most pressing issue facing society today?

X.M.: I personally think that climate change is the most important issue in the world at the moment because of how much it interconnects to every other issue we see in front of us. If you look at climate change in the way that it affects social justice, people who are most affected by climate change are poor communities of color and marginalized communities, both in the United States and worldwide.

The D.O.: One of your big goals is a class action lawsuit against the government. Could you talk about that? What is the status of that? Do you think it will be successful?

X.M.: We filed the lawsuit in 2015 against the Obama administration because this is a lawsuit not using political parties but holding leadership accountable. Myself and 20 other youths sued the government for violating our constitutional rights of life, liberty and property (and) failing to adequately respond to climate change. … This isn’t just us going to the streets and saying, “We want change! F*ck Trump!” We want tangible actions, we want solutions that matter to really build infrastructure for future generations.

The D.O.: Could you tell us about your new book?

X.M.: In September I published a book called “We Rise.” It’s a call to action. It’s a response to the anger and awareness to the issues worldwide. It is written for people who don’t know how to really get involved or those who want advice on how to get engaged. Climate change is used as a case study and a lens. … It’s a very well-rounded piece of literature that’s all about building movements and empowering leaders from whatever position you are in society.

The D.O.: I know you are a big advocate for indigenous people’s rights. Does that factor into your music? Do you incorporate those sounds and customs into your own music?

X.M.: For sure. I’m from Mexico. My heritage and family are from Mexico City. I spit in Spanish a lot, I have several verses on the album that are half English and half Spanish. I also spit in just Spanish and my native indigenous language. That’s a lot more difficult because it is so frickin’ hard. There’s also a track on the album called “Sage Up” that’s got my boy, who is Lakota and Ojibwe, who has the most ridiculous singing voice. It’s like tribal trap — it has the biggest, fattest trap beat with these crazy indigenous vocals. It’s woven in, but it’s not traditional. It’s very modernized in a really dope way.

The D.O.: Any closing thoughts?

X.M.: Live life to the fullest, for real.