SU Athletics

D.O. Sports’ 10-most newsworthy stories of fall 2018

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Joe Girard III verbally committed to Syracuse basketball inside the Queensbury Hotel in Glens Falls, New York.

The Daily Orange has worked to keep you covered on all the biggest news in Syracuse sports this fall, from SU qualifying for its first bowl game in five years to coverage of Joe Girard III’s verbal commitment to Syracuse. Stories like the resignation of women’s soccer head coach Phil Wheddon to the Orange making their first NCAA Tournament in volleyball have headlined the semester, as well.

As the fall comes to a close, here’s our list of the 10 most-newsworthy sports stories from the past few months.

Syracuse ranked No. 22 in AP poll, SU’s 1st ranking since 2001

austin

TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

After 17 years without a Top 25 ranking from the AP Poll, Syracuse was ranked No. 22 on Oct. 28. After defeating then-No. 22 North Carolina State, the Orange went from receiving no votes to making the list. Its drought that started in 2001 was the second longest among Power Five programs at the time.

‘Staying home’: Joe Girard III verbally commits to Syracuse

joey

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Inside the Queensbury Hotel in Glens Falls, New York’s all-time leading scorer announced he was going to stay home. Gerry McNamara had recruited Joe Girard III and the assistant coach’s message to him was a wedding vow: “I do.”

Girard was the third Class of 2019 verbal commit along with guard Brycen Goodine and center John Bol Ajak. He chose the Orange over Boston College, Duke, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State.

Now there are 2 Mets teams in New York

cuomo

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

With the New York Mets’ purchasing the Washington Nationals Triple-A affiliate last year, the then-Syracuse Chiefs made two announcements on Oct. 16. Led by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D), the team announced a name change to reflect its new franchise and a $25 million renovation project to improve NBT Bank Stadium.

The newly named Mets unveiled new uniforms, logos and merchandise after the event. The Syracuse Mets will begin its first season under its new name in April 2019.

Syracuse qualifies for 1st-ever NCAA tournament, to play Yale

yur

TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

Syracuse’s volleyball team had never made an NCAA Tournament. But after an 18-8 season including 14 wins in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Orange were granted a berth in the tournament. SU head coach Leonid Yelin was near certain Syracuse would reach the NCAA tournament. Members of the team watched the selection show in Manley Field House, and were elated when Syracuse’s name popped up on the screen.

“All signs and logic says, ‘yes, we’re probably going to make it,’” senior Santita Ebangwese said. “But it’s not real, it’s not official until you see your name.”

Syracuse defeats Wake Forest 2-0 for 1st ACC win in nearly 2 years

socca

Max Freund | Asst. Photo Editor

It had been 721 days since SU had won its last ACC game. But against the No. 1 team in the nation, Wake Forest, the Orange defeated the Demon Deacons, 2-0, behind strong defense and two goals in the last 25 minutes of the game.

Nearing the final five minutes, the SU bench stood the entire time. Players high-fived and passed an ACC banner around after the victory. The win also helped Syracuse make the Top 25 the following week after three-straight wins.

Syracuse women’s soccer head coach Phil Wheddon resigns

phillip

TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

After 11 seasons with Syracuse women’s soccer team, Phil Wheddon resigned within 24 hours of its final game of the season, a 3-0 defeat to Clemson. The third head coach of the program started the season 3-2, but his team ended the season on a 13-game losing streak. Syracuse went 64-98-25 under Wheddon. Assistant coach Kelly Lawrence is currently the interim head coach for the Orange.

Syracuse beats NC State, 51-41, to become bowl eligible behind Dungey bounceback

dung

TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

At 5-2 and following a breakout game from redshirt freshman Tommy DeVito, Eric Dungey wasn’t guaranteed a starting spot going into SU’s game against North Carolina State. But after Dungey started the first offensive snap, he shined. The senior amassed 443 yards and scored four touchdowns, vaulting him into first place in program history in total offense, passing Donovan McNabb.

The win gave the Orange six on the season, making it bowl eligible. Syracuse will play in the Camping World Bowl against West Virginia on Dec. 28.

Syracuse hires Shannon Doepking as head softball coach

shannonnn

Courtesy of Dartmouth Athletics

With Mike Bosch leaving his head coaching position at Syracuse to become an assistant coach at Florida, SU hired Shannon Doepking for the 2019 season. Doepking spent four seasons at Dartmouth, going 118-98 in her time there. She played collegiate softball at Tennessee and made three Women’s College World Series.

Syracuse misses NCAA tournament for 1st time since 2007

rooos

Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

For the first time since 2007, Syracuse field hockey failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament field. SU went 8-8 in 2018 including a 1-5 record in conference play.

Syracuse ranked No. 10 in RPI through Oct. 28, which was sixth of the eligible at-large teams. However, its Coaches’ Poll No. 17 ranking left them 12th on the list of at-large teams.

Andre Szmyt wins Lou Groza award for nation’s best kicker

syzmt

Max Freund | Asst. Photo Editor

Andre Szmyt was a former walk-on for Syracuse. In 2018, the redshirt freshman won recognized as the nation’s best placekicker by winning the Lou Groza award. He won it over LSU’s Cole Tracy and Wyoming’s Cooper Rothe.

Szmyt finished the season with 28 made field goals on 32 attempts (87.5 percent). His season-long came in Pittsburgh, where he hit a 54-yarder. He also finished No. 2 in the country in points scored with 141.