ducks

Duck: Kaci Wasilewski

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

I can’t believe I’m writing this. It feels like just yesterday it was freshman year and I was lost on my way to the D.O. open house, while using the maps app I might add. I kept walking in the opposite direction down the wrong street (University Ave). I turned back, planning to walk home, which was also in the same direction as 744. My phone stopped yelling at me and instead of going to BBB, I went to the place that eventually became like my second home.

And now it’s time for me to leave.

In between me getting lost and now, I met so many absolutely incredible people and I can’t imagine what my last three years would be like without any of them. So thank you to everyone who has impacted my Daily Orange career. College wouldn’t be the same without you.

Josh: I don’t know if I ever properly thanked you for trusting me like you did as SE. You trusted me with the women in sports broadcasting story when I had only written one A1 before. When I walked into the sports office and said I wanted to write a story on axe throwing, you trusted me to do so. When I wanted to dabble in video, you trusted me there. You encouraged me to do the things I wanted to do and helped me become more confident. You helped me become a better writer and reporter. So, thank you for all of it.

Graham: I realized recently that a lot of my Daily Orange firsts, you were a part of. My first story was covering a women’s ice hockey game with you. My first semester in-house, you were my head-ed. My first (and only) DO road trip, you were there. I’m glad you played this role in my D.O. career, it made my time enjoyable and filled with interesting conversations.

McCleary: Whether you’re quoting The Office, SNL, a spoofed country song or just doing a bit, you’ve made me laugh more than anyone else in house. It’s funny to think that we started our time as staff writers together on volleyball and now we’re leaving house with only senior year left. You’re a talented journalist and I’m happy to have had the opportunity to cover with you. Also, I’d like to take this time to formally apologize for going above you for permission to write on the ceiling.

Nick: You brought enthusiasm to the sports office this semester and not just about sports. I’m glad there was someone willing to talk Game of Thrones and Marvel theories. Helping you come up with a broadway song to describe each section was a semester highlight. I know you beat me in the mac count but you also argued for some of my good ones (as few and far between as they were) so thanks for that.

Dabbundo: I learned this fall that if you want to really get to know someone, spend about two hours each weekend at a field hockey game with them. I know it was annoying with just two of us covering field hockey. But we became a lot closer because of it. I wouldn’t ask for it any other way. Thank you for all the times you’ve listened when I most needed it and thank you for always having my back. I’m going to miss our back-and-forths next year and I look forward to see where your talent takes you in the future, just don’t forget to grab the popcorn.

Aro: I’m happy to leave the digital side of sports in your hands. Hopefully you’ll continue the trend of copy editor terrible at pitching macs turned digital editor that’s great at it. Seriously though, you’ve written good stories this semester and I’m looking forward to seeing how you rise through the ranks.

Eric: I’ll never forget freezing during softball games with you. Thankfully you were smart and occasionally brought a blanket. We only had one outdoor coverage this semester so that seems like an improvement, except we still froze. Either way, we’ve had some memorable coverages together.

Liberman: I’m sorry for every time I’ve ever distracted you with Game of Thrones talk… kind of… I mean those conversations are some of my favorite parts of the week so I don’t know if I’m that sorry. I will miss our conversations – Game of Thrones, lacrosse or otherwise and I hope they continue long after we’ve both left Syracuse.

KJ: You’ve asked me to completely roast you in this so I wrote something, then decided to erase it. While we have very different interests and without the D.O. we probably wouldn’t have been friends, I prefer the way it turned out. I’ll miss annoying you.

Emerman, Hillman and Crane: I’m glad y’all are in house now. You think you know what you’ve gotten yourself into but trust me, it’s even better than you think. Have fun and make memories, 744 is one of the best places for that.

Maeve: I’m so glad you were talked into being digital editor this semester because it meant we got to be friends. Some of my most memorable moments in house were because of you. The night sports left early and we sat up there and talked, forcing sports to use hashtags in tweets and just hanging out. I can’t imagine this semester being what it was without you.

Talia: When I think of my time at the D.O., a lot of my memories involve you. Whether it was the excitement that came with walking into sports and finding out you were our designer, or driving to Turning Stone, I’m glad you’ve been a constant throughout my time at The Daily Orange. I was ecstatic when I found out you’d be one of my head-eds this semester because I knew that meant we’d be able to create some amazing things, and I think we did.

Catherine: I missed not having you walk in to sports for a conversation about something that none of the guys in the room were able to contribute to. You were one of the very first non-sports section friends I made at the D.O. and there isn’t anyone better to hold that title. You’ve been my voice of reason at times and that’s why I know you’ll be a fabulous ME next year, as the voice of reason for the whole house.

Aishwarya: You know when you have a conversation with someone and it ends up being exactly what you needed at the time? We had one near the start of the semester that was exactly that for me, so thank you for that. You’re one of the smartest people I know and have the absolute best fashion taste. You were an incredible ME. Thank you for giving me permission to write on the ceiling in sports when McCleary said I couldn’t. 

Molly: When my professor had no idea what was wrong with my film camera, you were able to figure out the problem so thank you for teaching me more than she did. Spending time on the visuals couch was nice change of pace from sports. Also, thanks for the title of best sports writer turned photog. 

Mackenzie: You have one of those infectious personalities that causes everyone to smile. You’re one of the most involved people I know and I envy your ability to be able to balance a schedule like you do. You’ve done so much to advance video this semester and it shows, there were so many great ones.

Rori: Both our spontaneous and planned adventures led to so many great memories last summer in Los Angeles.

Anna and Susie: Y’all are actually the real MVPs. Thank you for turning my barely understandable explanations into gorgeous graphics.

Jordan: Remember when we went to an Angels game and celebrated Mike Trout’s birthday? That was fun. I still can’t believe you thought Kaci was short for Catherine. 

Kennedy: Thanks for looking out for me and making sure I didn’t die this semester (i.e., when I had blood gushing down my heels from blisters). There is no one else I’d rather talk about good ways to cook meat or Star Wars with.

Jenna: I always loved when you were in sports for the night. It led to us talking about something and while we probably annoyed the rest of sports, it was always entertaining. I cannot wait until next semester when we’re exploring the big apple together.

The Sports Staff: When I look back on my college experience, a lot of my best memories will be with you guys. Whether its winning media cup and belting We Are the Champions in Josh’s attic or waiting an hour for a Stella’s breakfast, I’ll always look back on my time with all of you fondly.