SU Athletics

Still in Syracuse? Here are the sporting events happening over break

5 Syracuse teams have games after the the academic calendar ends

The end of the academic school year doesn’t mean it’s the end of the Syracuse sports season. Several Syracuse teams are still finishing up their seasons throughout the month of May and into June.

Here’s a look at the Syracuse teams to watch out for as they enter and continue postseason play:

Men’s Lacrosse

No. 10 Syracuse (9-4, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) received a No. 9 seed in the NCAA tournament field. The Orange will play No. 8 seed Loyola (Maryland) on Saturday. Faceoff is set for 12 p.m. at Loyola.

If the Orange were to advance, they would play in the NCAA quarterfinals at either Hofstra or Fairfield University the following weekend. Their most likely opponent is No. 1 seed Penn State, but they could face either Marist or UMBC, if the winner of the play-in upset the Nittany Lions.

Should the Orange find themselves in the semifinals, they would head to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for championship weekend on May 25 and 27.

Women’s lacrosse

No. 4 Syracuse (15-4, 5-2) lost in the semifinals of the ACC tournament to then-No. 1 Boston College. Now, like the men’s team, the Orange are headed to the NCAA tournament. SU received a No. 5 seed, meaning they received a first-round bye. Syracuse will play on May 12 in the Carrier Dome against either Penn or Georgetown. If they win that, its most likely opponent is No. 4 seed Northwestern, which the Orange would play in Evanston, Illinois on May 18-19.

The national semifinals and championship are set for May 25 and May 27 at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

Tennis

No. 31 Syracuse’s season came to an end as a team on Saturday after No. 3 seed Stanford defeated the Orange 4-1. SU picked up a win over No. 35 Wisconsin on Friday.

Gabriela Knutson was the only Syracuse player invited to the individual NCAA Championships for singles or doubles. She’ll compete in the singles tournament, earning a bid as a 9-16 seed. The full bracket has not been released, but the tournament begins May 20 in Orlando.

Softball

Syracuse (21-31, 8-16) is headed to the ACC tournament as a No. 9 seed. The Orange will play in the opening round of the tournament on Wednesday against No. 8 seed North Carolina State at 1 p.m. SU beat NC State in two of the team’s three games this season.

If the Orange win, they’ll play Thursday at 11 a.m. against No. 1 seed Virginia Tech.

Given the SU record, it’s very unlikely the Orange will make the NCAA tournament, unless they win four games in four days and earn an automatic qualifier spot by winning the conference tournament.

Track and Field

Syracuse athletes will travel to Charlottesville, Virginia, for the ACC Championships from May 9-11. The National Championships are set for Austin, Texas from June 5-8.