November Hate Crimes

Letters, columns and editorials about racism and hate crimes at Syracuse

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

At least 10 racist or bias-related incidents have been reported on and near the Syracuse University campus since Nov. 7. Here is what The Daily Orange Editorial Board, our columnists and our readers have to say about the hate crimes, the university’s response and ongoing protests.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board

SU’s response to racist vandalism in Day Hall grossly inadequate

The way SU officials handle racism and hate on campus must change.

SU officials cannot sweep racism on campus under the rug again

When confronted with racism and bigotry on campus in the past, SU officials have repeatedly moved on — condemning racism and committing to do better for a moment, but never taking steps to ensure they are held accountable for creating meaningful change.

Letters to the Editor

SU puts public perception above protecting its students

Our reader says that SU puts public perception above protecting its students. 

Racist acts are being carried out by a small percentage of people

A Day Hall resident says that the terrible actions of one student shouldn’t be responsible for the stigma looming around Day Hall and Syracuse as a whole.

Former GSO vice-president says “not again” about racism on campus

The 2015 vice-president of the Graduate Student Organization wants to love Syracuse, but can only say “not again.”

SU must guarantee the safety of all members of university community

Members of the Sociology Graduate Student Association demand that the administration implement policies and procedures to effectively guarantee the safety of all members of the university community.

SU leadership has repeatedly condemned racism and moved on

The executive council of the Syracuse University AAUP says SU leadership has repeatedly condemned racism and then moved on.

THE General Body members support resignation of chancellor

Alums and current Syracuse students who fought the administration as members of The General Body five years support #NotAgainSU and the petition asking for Chancellor Kent Syverud’s immediate resignation.

Sitting in, fighting is what SU taught us to do

SU graduate says Syracuse students sitting in Barnes Center embody “scholarship in action” and are using their education to clearly articulate legislation for administration to implement.

Maxwell Faculty of Color group says SU’s response to racism inadequate

The Maxwell Faculty of Color group ask for a commitment on the part of the administration to implement effective and sustained reform measures in the direction of a more inclusive campus environment and learning framework.

Students who aren’t protesting can still engage in activism

Our reader says that activism is more than just protesting — it’s documenting the story so it’s never forgotten, encouraging those on the front lines and leveraging your connections to make sure that when change comes it is equitable for everyone.

Former SA president supports chancellor’s response to racism

Former Student Association President Eric Evangelista says that calling for the resignation of Chancellor Syverud will not help the campus community heal nor will it alleviate the longstanding, systematic issues with which Syracuse University has had to contend.

We’ve given those responsible for racism on campus too much power over us

Our reader says that we are letting those responsible for racism on campus win by allowing them to affect our education and our ability to walk freely in our own community.

Cuomo’s comments about chancellor inexplicable and disgraceful

Emeritus professors of history David H. Bennett and James Roger Sharp say that Gov. Cuomo’s comments about chancellor inexplicable and disgraceful.

Former NAACP president believes students will win

The former NAACP president commends student protestors’ bravery, fearlessness and organizing.

SU’s emails to parents about racism contained ‘notable omission’

The former project director of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum says university emails about campus racism omitted an expression of outrage at the acts of hatred.

Chancellor did not mention death threats against a faculty member

Professor Eileen E. Schell asks why Chancellor Syverud did not mention the death threat and hate speech a faculty member received on her university email.

Columnist Reactions

SU tried to downplay racist vandalism in Day Hall

Moderate columnist Kailey Norusis argues that Syracuse University officials who waited four days to publicly acknowledge racist vandalism in Day Hall risk becoming complicit in acts of prejudice.

SU’s mishandling of racist vandalism is part of an unfortunate pattern

Liberal columnist Sam Bova argues that leaving hatred unattended to and allows it to writhe underground until it, once again, feels emboldened and safe enough to come out. 

Racist vandalism exposes weaknesses in campus security, inclusivity efforts

Student Life columnist Sophie Becker argues that racist vandalism in SU’s Day Hall exposes weaknesses in campus security and the university’s efforts to promote inclusivity.

SU responds to racism on campus with temporary fixes

Gender and Sexuality columnist Jewel Jackson argues that SU officials respond to racist incidents on campus with temporary, often ineffective fixes.

Day Hall vandalism a reflection of campus culture

Liberal columnist Noah Estling argues that the racist vandalism that occurred in Day Hall is a reflection of SU’s campus culture.

Changes university now considering are years overdue

Student Life columnist Feryal Nawaz argues that the changes SU officials are now considering following student protests are years overdue.

Commitment to inclusivity from chancellor, governor unconvincing

Liberal columnist Patrick McCarthy argues that commitments to inclusivity from Chancellor Syverud and Gov. Cuomo are unconvincing.

‘Same race’ option for roommate selection a step backward

Conservative Columnist Skylar Swart argues that a proposed “same race” rooming option for students would be a step backward.

Students doing work SU officials are paid to do

Liberal columnist Sydney Gold argues that students are stepping up to do the work SU officials are paid to do with no warning, no resources and no compensation.

University must implement inclusivity measures proposed by students

Student Life columnist Amelia Fischer says that university officials must implement the inclusivity measures proposed by students at a sit-in in the Barnes Center.

Members of Greek life should embrace suspension of social activities

Moderate columnist Kailey Norusis says that members of Greek life should embrace this suspension as a chance to unify with the rest of the university to create some true lasting change and to ensure that #NotAgainSU becomes #NeverAgainSU.

Student activism makes the case for generational change

Liberal columnist David Bruen argues that the activism from Syracuse students in response to racism on campus resembles other Gen-Z-led social and political movements calling for change.

DPS emails minimize gravity of racism on campus

Gender and sexuality columnist Alex Battaglia argues that DPS continues to improperly characterize these racist acts in their communication with the university community.