Screen Time Column

‘Sex Education’ continues its phenomenal run in season 2

Kevin Camelo | Senior Staff

It’s time to talk about S-E-X … Education.

And why not, given how the show burst onto the scene last January. The first season dropped on Netflix with extremely positive reviews, putting a modern, poignant spin on classic 1980s teen comedies. A year later, Laurie Nunn’s project is continuing to tug at viewers’ heart strings while taking our characters further through the pains of adolescence.

The second season picks up at the start of the next semester at Moordale Secondary School. Otis is in a seemingly happy relationship with Ola. Jean is in a happy relationship with Jakob, with Otis and Ola not knowing that their parents are dating. Maeve, still not over Otis, has just gotten back into school while dealing with her mother returning into her life. Eric falls for a transfer student despite Adam – who’s at military school – still being on his mind. Jackson is dealing with the fallout from his breakup with Maeve while coming to grips with his family issues and future as a swimmer – all while Jean starts working at Moordale as a sexual education advisor.

It would seem like there is too much going on, and there is a ton of action without mentioning all of the new characters and several returnees. That being said, the writing team, headed by Nunn, does a fantastic job of weaving several plotlines together. This includes a fantastic multi-episode arc centering around Aimee that ends with a smashingly great moment (pun intended). The season also delves into Jackson’s anxiety, which is touched upon in the previous season, to a great extent.

These storylines feed into the main message of the season about openness. This was a central aspect of season one as well, but in this season, the little issues that the characters try to suppress have massive consequences.

Now, the characters’ attempt to avoid discussing their feelings is never something out of place or forced. Frankly, despite the heightened reality of the show, many of said moments feel grounded and well set up by previous episodes. This narrative structure makes the many moments of opening up feel more natural and fitting, especially in a world that is a modern day ‘80s teen comedy.

As far as flaws go, this season was slightly worse than the previous season. Otis makes some questionable decisions that will test your admiration for him as he deals with his inability to confront his own feelings. Also, there were several moments and storylines that were a tad too cloying and trite.

Those moments are few and far between, and this was a great season of television. Maybe there could have been more Otis and Maeve scenes, but their interactions this season are just as beautiful and heartbreaking as last season’s. The end point of their relationship this season only leads for more possibilities going forward.

Once again, the humor is poignant. Nunn and company know when to be weird and when to be subtle with the show’s humor. Simply watch the first five minutes of the season, and you’ll understand this show’s brilliance.

Also, the camera work and editing have several subtle beauties. Sometimes, the framing can be a tad weird. However, there are so many well-composed long takes switching between perspectives and shots with characters walking in the background before entering into a scene. Along with the great ‘80s-inspired soundtrack, it is very artfully done, and the filmmaking is an underrated strength of the show.

However, the filmmaking is not the focus of this show – that would be the characters. “Sex Education” is rich with phenomenal story arcs that continue to deepen, including Eric’s struggles to engage with Rahim, Adam’s attempts to grow as a person and Jean’s intimacy issues. It’s hard to wait another year for a second season, and “Sex Education” has a knack for leaving viewers wanting more.