Syracuse hires Sterlin Gilbert as offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach

Courtesy of McNeese State Athletics

Sterlin Gilbert was the head coach at McNeese State during the 2019 season.

Syracuse football hired Sterlin Gilbert as offensive coordinator, according to multiple reports. The news broke Saturday, SU Athletics has not yet announced the hire.

Gilbert, who was the head coach at McNeese State for the 2019 season, is no longer listed as a member of the Cowboys coaching staff. Instead, running backs coach Landon Hoefer is listed as the interim head coach.

Syracuse has made no announcements about current offensive coordinator and running backs coach Mike Lynch, who assumed the title of offensive coordinator after Sean Lewis left for Kent State following the 2017 season. The two shared the title of co-offensive coordinator prior.

The news of Gilbert’s hiring broke hours after SU announced it had hired Zach Arnett to fill the defensive coordinator position. With two new coordinators, this offseason has featured the most staff overhaul during Dino Babers’ tenure at Syracuse.

The staff changes come after SU followed a historic 10 win 2018 with a 5-7 2019.  The Orange averaged 12 points per game fewer and regressed in key areas — like turnover margin and sacks — that helped the Orange thrive in 2018.

UPDATED: Jan. 16, 2020, at 11:21 a.m.

Syracuse Athletics officially announced the hiring of Gilbert as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach on Thursday morning. This is his third time working under Babers, with stints at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green.