Letters to the Editor

SU supports student financial aid programs

Daily Orange File Illustration

Dear Editor,

The staff of the Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) and Student Support Services (SSS) project appreciate the recognition by Feryal Nawaz in “SU Should Invest in Being Accessible to Underrepresented Students.”  For those unfamiliar with our programs, HEOP is a New York State-funded opportunity program and SSS is a federally funded TRIO Program.  Both programs serve underrepresented low-income and/or first-generation college students.  HEOP is celebrating its 50th anniversary at SU this year.  SSS has been around for over 40 years.

We agree with Feryal Nawaz’s assertion that SU should support underrepresented students. There is strength in diversity, and underrepresented students impact the university in powerful ways.  We are proud of our current students and the thousands of graduates our programs have produced.  Their success proves that with the right academic and financial support, underrepresented and/or first-generation college students can accomplish incredible things; we’ve had University Scholars, Class Marshals, Remembrance Scholars, McNair Scholars, Our Time Has Come Scholars in addition to hundreds of students who’ve studied abroad, led student organizations, volunteered in the community, conducted research with faculty, and gone on to do amazing things in their post-grad lives. We celebrate all our students’ accomplishments. The value of earning a bachelor’s degree has positive implications for generations to come. Diversity and access to education make SU and our nation stronger.

We do want to clarify that both HEOP and SSS are funded by grant matching arrangements between Syracuse University and state and federal governments; hence, concerns regarding program funding revolve around legislation in state and federal budgets. We also want to recognize that the university has been supportive of our programs over the last 50 years; we would not be successful without the many offices on campus that support the work that we do. Also important is Chancellor Kent Syverud’s support of HEOP and SSS. We believe that regarding issues of social justice and diversity, Chancellor Syverud is genuine in his support. The execution of that support through larger university systems and structures is where student-led social justice initiatives identify room for improvement, and we support students’ efforts in creating dialogue and action.

Again, we thank Feryal Nawaz for recognizing HEOP and SSS.  We stand in solidarity with students, our sister opportunity programs, staff, faculty, other members of the university, and friends who believe in a community that is diverse, equal, and inclusive. Let’s continue to work together.

The Staff of HEOP and SSS programs

Syracuse University