Letters to the Editor

Impeachment upholds American democracy

Daily Orange File Illustration

Michael Furnari’s most recent conservative column is wrong in many ways and displays the disregard for the rule of law that infects the entire Republican party, young and old. I would, however, like to highlight one particular paragraph.

Furnari states: “If Trump were to be removed, there would be no turning back.” However, that would be exactly what the country would be doing, turning back a leader who blatantly disregards the law and thinks the Constitution allows him to do anything he pleases. It would be using the Constitutional powers of Congress not to circumvent the 2020 election but rather to protect the 2020 election from a man hell-bent on using the power of the presidency (and taxpayer money) to cheat his way to a victory.

Furnari continues, writing that “Any hope for normalcy would evaporate.” However, does he think the current circumstances are the new normal? Does he consider it normal for a president to bribe foreign countries to participate in his political dirty tricks? If so, he would, unfortunately, join many Republican senators who admit that the evidence of Trump’s wrongdoing is overwhelming, while at the same time find it insufficient to remove the president.

Finally, Furnari predicts that “The response to a Trump impeachment would not be a return to a more civil politics, but a declaration of all-out partisan war.” First of all, a Trump conviction (which I assume he means) must, by definition, be bipartisan, considering that two-thirds of the Senate would have to vote for conviction.

Second, are we not currently in a partisan war? Fifty-one Republican senators voted to hear no witnesses in the Senate trial for the first time in this nation’s history, essentially covering up the president’s crimes. This will ensure an acquittal but prevent an exoneration and certainly be remembered as one of the foolish and unpatriotic examples of blind loyalty to a crooked man and party.

Furnari may be too young to remember it, but if he is so concerned about using impeachment as a political weapon, he should write to Ken Starr, a member of the president’s defense team, and ask him about impeaching a president over sexual misconduct.

Sincerely,

Dominic Francese

Syracuse University

Class of 2003