Women's lacrosse

Emma Tyrrell held to 1 goal in No. 2 Syracuse’s loss to No. 6 Boston College

Courtesy of SU Athletics

In Syracuse’s 11-10 overtime loss to Boston College Thursday, SU leading scorer Emma Tyrrell was held to just one goal and two points, her lowest totals since being shut out against Virginia Tech on March 9.

Syracuse’s leading scorer Emma Tyrrell was executing at a level as high as any player in the nation entering its regular-season finale against Boston College. The graduate student tallied 49 goals through 15 games and was averaging 3.88 through her last eight.

But then she was tasked with her biggest assignment of the season. Tyrrell had to match up with the Eagles’ Tewaaraton nominee Sydney Scales.

Led by Scales, BC held Tyrrell to just one goal and two points — her lowest totals since being shut out against Virginia Tech on March 9. Tyrrell’s lack of production helped No. 6 Boston College (13-3, 7-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) climb back from a two-goal deficit at halftime and beat No. 2 Syracuse (12-4, 8-1 ACC) 11-10 in overtime, breaking SU’s unbeaten ACC run and nine-game winning streak.

BC’s defense was much different from anything the Orange attack saw this season. According to Lacrosse Reference, the Eagles entered the contest ranked sixth in defensive efficiency. Boston College is anchored by a player-to-player defense that features select slides for specific dodgers early and then releasing to the back side to make up the ground.

Though SU had some success early on, it was limited because of BC’s tactics.

Tyrrell first got a touch near the goal with the Orange up 1-0 just over three minutes in. She collected a pass from Olivia Adamson seven yards out from the 12-meter and had a one-on-one matchup with Scales for the first time. Scales quickly pushed out but Tyrrell used her speed and a zig-zag pattern to create separation.

Scales quickly caught up and Adamson’s defender — midfielder Cassidy Weeks — slid toward Tyrrell, forcing her to the left and cutting off her angle. Tyrrell got a shot off but it brushed the side of the net before BC goalie Shea Dolce collected it.

Following a Boston College turnover, Tyrrell had another matchup with Scales on the next possession. This time, Tyrrell received a pass along the perimeter of the 12-meter and ran left to right hoping to turn the corner with a pick on Scales by Emma Muchnick. But Scales easily eluded the screen and checked Tyrrell twice before forcing a turnover.

Tyrrell and Scales saw each other in the Final Four a season ago, where Scales held Tyrrell to one goal on five shots in BC’s one-goal win.

Now in her senior season, Scales is third in the ACC in caused turnovers per game with 1.92. The Walpole, Massachusetts, native earned IWLCA First-Team All-American honors in 2023 and, like Tyrrell, was recently listed as a top-25 nominee for the Tewaaraton award.

Minutes after Scales caused a turnover, the two matched up in the same position with BC up 2-1. This time with no screen clogging the middle, Tyrrell turned the corner just enough to fire off a shot while fading away, beating Dolce low from just in front of the eight-meter.

Tyrrell got the best of Scales and BC’s potent defense, but it was a stand-alone act. Scales began to up the pressure, face-guarding Tyrrell off-ball wherever she went.

SU’s attack saw a similar treatment a few games prior. Against Cornell on April 3, she found the back of the net four times in the first half. In the second half, the Big Red adjusted by face-guarding Tyrrell. She was held off the scoresheet for the rest of the game though it didn’t matter as SU was well ahead by that point.

“I know I came out hot but I didn’t finish very hot,” Tyrrell said after the win over Cornell.

While facing higher-level Boston College defenders, Tyrrell’s production mattered throughout the back-and-forth affair.

Tyrrell was freed from being face-guarded when SU held a player-up advantage early in the second quarter. She broke away from new defender, Hunter Roman, but missed a shot from just five yards out.

On the final play of the first half, Tyrrell had a one-on-one chance with Scales emerging from the left corner. She attempted a hard dodge but again Scales cut off the angle just enough for Tyrrell to miss.

The second half was much of the same. Though the attention Tyrrell garnered from opposing defenders freed up the rest of the attack, allowing secondary scorers like Savannah Sweitzer to tally a pair of clutch goals.

After Kate Mashewske won the draw control on a false start by Abbey Herod to begin overtime, Syracuse’s attack worked the ball around before creating a dodging lane for Tyrrell to work through, hoping she would win the battle and put the game away. The off-ball movement freed the entire left side of the offensive zone to just Tyrrell and Scales.

Tyrell collected the pass from Natalie Smith three yards out of the 12-meter, making a curling motion from left to right across the field. But Scales never let her inside, denying any lane to the net and forcing a quick pass to Adamson at X.

The Orange eventually produced a scoring chance when Sweitzer flipped to Smith in front of the net. But Smith shot it right at Dolce while SU’s most prolific goal scorer was off-ball the majority of the possession. BC finished the game with a goal on the other end moments later.

In the loss, Tyrrell was held down for almost 60 minutes of play. Though she still managed to have an impact. A ground ball pickup early in the second quarter from Tyrrell led to an Adamson goal seconds later. And later on in the fourth quarter, Tyrrell delivered a setup pass to Adamson to tie the game.

But in a game of that magnitude, Syracuse needed its top goal scorer to do what she does best and it didn’t get it, falling for the fifth straight time to its arch-rivals.